The glass hair trend has become increasingly popular over the past year. The ‘glass” name means the hair looks incredibly smooth, silky and luxe with a high shine that resembles – you guessed it – glass! We’ve had a chat with Joana Neves, Editorial Director at Alterna to find out how we should expect this trend to play out for the rest of the year “On many of the catwalk shows I have worked on recently, this look has been really popular with designers including at the men’s Dior show in LA.”
Many clients’ lust over the glass hair trend, as who would not want to have the healthiest and shiniest of hair? However, achieving this look takes time and persistence. Using the correct, high quality and deeply moisturising products are necessary to achieve this look.
“We are now seeing a fresh approach to the glass hair trend, whereby the hair looks super sleek and glass like towards the top of the hair and then, staying glossy and healthy in appearance, has a beautiful softness to it at the mid-lengths and ends,” says Joana.
How to get glass hair
- To achieve the look, clients should always use a moisturising shampoo and conditioner like the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. Whilst also working to cleanse the hair, these products target the hair with moisture and have added conditioning and smoothing ingredients to help promote a smooth and shiny appearance on the hair. Clients should also rotate the conditioner once per week with the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Masque to give their hair a more intensive hydration boost. With added Seasilk in all the moisturising range, hair will feel soft and silky to touch, which is a must when trying to achieve the glass hair look.
- After washing, hair should be prepped with the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture CC Cream, a leave in product that delivers 10 benefits in one step, including giving the hair moisture, shine, smoothness, softness and helping to protect against heat protection.
- Hair should then be blow-dried in sections, with the nozzle pointing downwards and with a large paddle brush to dry the hair and provide a smooth finish. Once dried, I always like to use the cool setting to seal the cuticle and banish any frizz.
- Hair should then be sectioned from the mape to the crown and then the sides and smoothed down further with the help of heated styling irons before applying a small amount of the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture CC Cream again to get rid of any flyaways and to further smooth down the look. The irons can also be used to give the hair a soft wave towards the ends for a further classy and expensive finish.
- To give the hair added radiance, it should then be spritzed with a shine spray, instead of a hairspray which can give the hair a stiff finish and result in the hair feeling not as smooth and silky. A shine spray will give the hair added lustre and the hair colour vibrancy. One of my favourites is the Caviar Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Topcoat Spray.
“The great thing about this trend is that it can be incorporated into any hair look,” Joana explains. “For example, into ponytails, buns, topknots or chignons, all of which I have seen become dominant looks on the catwalk over the past year. However, I particularly love this look when worn down and paired with a blunt cut to really accentuate the shine within the hair and also to further enhance the healthy look, with the hair being free from any split ends and feeling soft and luxe to touch.”
As well as getting regular cuts, clients should try to avoid using heated styling tools where possible and look after their hair more carefully to ensure it stays in optimum condition. Silk/satin pillowcases and scrunchies will avoid friction towards the hair, as well as microfiber hair towels.
The key to this look for clients is persistence, ensuring they are constantly using the correct products and taking care of their hair as best as they can.
For more of the latest industry news, click HERE.
Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We Love, We Hearand We Seeas the best product launches, styling advice, hairtools, education training and seminars and hairshows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on www.respectyou.me
We love hairdressing; we see and we hear how you can become the best hairdresser, colourist and salon owner possible. Contact us if you’d like to know more about us. If it’s worth talking about, you’ll read it here.