While women everywhere have been embracing their natural hair during lockdown, many men working from home and in isolation have decided now is the time to embrace the facial fuzz and grow beards.
Even though the look has been popular for many years from big and bushy to hipster and trimmed- made popular by celebrities such as George Clooney, Jamie Dornan and Ryan Reynolds- the current crisis has clearly made it a must.
Session stylist and barber Joe Mills, from Joe and Co, London, believes it’s a great opportunity for men to experiment with a new look. “Some men aren’t allowed to grow a beard because of the work they do, some can go through a patchy stage and others have never considered it before,” Joe says. “Whatever the reason, it seems guys across the land are growing a beard for the lockdown. Once they have made that jump from clean shaven to facial hair, they will need to care for it.”
On that note, barbers, now it’s the time to contact your clients and share some advice on how to look after their new beards. Especially the ones who are trying this for the first time. Growing a beard is just the first step – caring for it will make it look luscious during lockdown. Here’s Joe’s tips for first-time beard wearers – spread the word:
1. Condition the beard. Treat the hair on your face like the hair on your head and keep it clean and conditioned.
2. Brush your beard. A boar bristle brush is ideal to brush the bush – once a day will remove any dirt or dead skin cells. Use it gently so not to irritate the skin.
3. Use a beard oil. Like a leave-in conditioner, a beard oil will re-balance the natural oils in your beard and on your skin.
4. Keep it in shape. The first cut is the scariest but once you’ve decided on the shape and length you can trim it regularly.
5. Invest in a beard trimmer. Investing in the proper equipment will make looking after your beard simpler and easier.
For more of the latest hairdressing news, click HERE.
Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We Love, We Hear and We See as the best product launches, styling advice, hair tools, education training and seminars and hair shows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on www.respectyou.me
We love hairdressing; we see and we hear how you can become the best hairdresser, colourist and salon owner possible. Contact us if you’d like to know more about us. If it’s worth talking about, you’ll read it here.