Graham Pollard is a hairdresser and the owner of a sustainable in-house salon in Putney, called Atelier 29. After speaking with his hairstylist friends and contacts in Europe and specifically the countries that have reopened salons, he decided to put together a guide based on their experiences of restrictions for the post-lockdown era. This guide though is for his clients as he wants to inform them about the new normal and how the salon will operate, how the appointments will take place etc. He is currently sending it to all his clients and he was happy to share with us. We think it’s a good idea and many of you could take notes and probably do something similar.
In his words:
”We will soon be back up and running again, so it’s important to understand how we will operate in future. Whatever the UK recommendations, Atelier 29 will apply the combined best salon practice from across the world, in order to provide you with the maximum security.
Please Note: In the foreseeable future we will accept salon appointments only. Home visits will resume once we are free of all commercial operating restrictions.
Before you step into the salon:
- All appointments will be made in advance.
- Please pay in advance, this will reduce your need to bring bags and purses.
- If anyone in your household has had flu-like or Covid-like symptoms seven days prior to your appointment, please reschedule for another time. We will waive any cancellation fees.
- Please come alone. No more than one guest is allowed in the salon.
- We will supply fresh disposable masks to each client. Guests arriving with personal masks will be asked to change into a disposable one for the appointment.
- We will have no space in future for hanging coats, so please leave them at home or in your car.
- Please do not bring any water bottles, take away coffees or foodstuffs, as you will need to keep your face mask on at all times. Equally no beverages will be served.
- If you are early, please wait outside on the street. I will call you when the salon is free and sanitized.
- Please be punctual. There will be a 15 minute cleaning routine of all touch points between each appointment, so delays will impact greatly on appointment times.
Once you step in the salon:
- Stand in our porch and wait for me to take your temperature from a distance. Anyone with a red reading on the machine will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
- Guests will be asked to use the handwash gel by the front door.
- In the porch you will be provided with a disposable facemask and cape.
- The mask will be worn at all times.
- I will be wearing gloves, a mask and visor.
- Depending on the legal requirements, please be aware blow drying and air conditioning may not be available.
- You will be able the bespoke guest bathroom, which will be sanitized between each appointment.
- We prefer payment in advance, no cash payments will be accepted.
Our commitment to you:
- No gowns will be re-used and they will be washed at 60 degrees each day in the salon.
- Our towels are all biodegradable and disposable.
- Our salon is now fully equipped with a new Dyson air purifier which removes 99.95% of microscopic pollutants and allergens. This is for the benefit of people with breathing difficulties.
- The salon has been decluttered. There are fewer items on shelves and all magazines have been taken away.
- All retail stock is still available upon request.
- The salon will clean common contact points, including handles, handrails, light switches, table surfaces, credit card terminals, computers and tablets.
- The dedicated bathroom will be thoroughly cleaned, all surfaces washed and contact points disinfected. Water, liquid soap and single-use biodegradable towels will be available.
Many thanks for your patience and understanding!
I’m looking forward to seeing you all soon!”
Thank you for sharing, Graham!
For more of the latest industry news, click HERE.
Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We Love, We Hear and We See as the best product launches, styling advice, hair tools, education training and seminars and hair shows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on www.respectyou.me
We love hairdressing; we see and we hear how you can become the best hairdresser, colourist and salon owner possible. Contact us if you’d like to know more about us. If it’s worth talking about, you’ll read it here.