TRENDING: Visit Colour World’s online hub | Check out the Respect channel on

Search Newsletter
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Get insurance with the FHA

As the hair industry prepares to reopen for business post-lockdown, it’s never been more important that freelancers are totally covered with comprehensive professional insurance for the specifics of life as a freelancer, self-employed stylist in a salon or mobile hairdresser. Knowing the right insurance to choose can be tricky: does your car need insuring? How do you protect against equipment getting stolen? What if you’re starting to think about travelling again for weddings and events – are you still covered? Fear not! The Freelance Hairdressers Association (FHA) steps in and gets you covered!

When you join the FHA, you automatically gain comprehensive public liability freelance insurance, developed specifically for hairdressers and beauty therapists and designed to cover every aspect of your business. It starts the minute you join – either online or by phone – and is valid with immediate effect, for as long as you continue to pay your FHA membership.

Here are some FAQ and their answers, as provided by FHA. Hope that helps!

What should insurance cover?

As a freelance hairdresser, you are required to have adequate Public and Products Liability insurance cover in place.  It is crucial to have insurance specifically written to include the many services freelancers provide, including things like extensions, colour, additives and keratin.

A good Public and Products Liability insurance will include Treatment Risk cover for any one occurrence up to the Limit Indemnity against legal liability for damages in respect of accidental Injury or accidental loss of or damage to property to a third party, excluding any property being worked upon. Product Liability is important to cover you for loss of or damage to any product supplied caused by any defect or the harmful nature or unsuitability of the product.

Here the FHA answer highlights the most common concerns freelancers have regarding insurance and to find out more about the FHA members policy visit

Can I get insured to cover me working in multiple settings?

Absolutely and this is essential to ensure you are always covered.  A freelance hairstylist, beauty therapist and barber includes those renting a chair in studios, home salons, care homes, session work, education and mobile hairdressing. So check your cover for peace of mind that wherever you are working you are covered.

Do you need specific qualifications to access insurance?

It is a condition of the FHA Insurance that you have:

  • gained qualifications recognised by the Freelance Hair Association for the treatments undertaken and have gained two years appropriate experience


  • have gained qualifications recognised by the Freelance Hair Association and are working towards gaining two years’ experience, undertaking continuous professional development monitored by the Freelance Hair Association.

I offer lots of different services – how do I know what’s covered?

A good policy will mean additives like Olaplex, keratin, and straightening treatments are all covered. Barbering should also be covered in a policy often subject to a sterilisation warranty; it is a condition of this policy that any razor or clipper blades, steel combs, or any item which could pierce the skin while in use must be brand new or thoroughly sterilised.

What about if I do both hair and beauty services, do I need separate policies?

Acrylic and gel nails, lash and brow tints, brow threading and waxing and non-permanent makeup are often included alongside hair services but again it’s very important to check this with your provider.

Colour is the main area I worry about – how do I make sure I’m covered?

Provided that you follow the industry Allergy Alert Test protocol, colour services should be covered.

The protocol states:

  • A skin test must be done on every client, following manufacturer’s instructions or using a Colour Start Patch, once a year, providing there is no change in the colour or product range.
  • A skin test must be repeated for the client, following manufacturer’s instructions or using a Colour Start Patch, if there is a change in the chosen colour or product range.
  • The skin test results must be kept on file (for FHA insurance it would be for six years so again check individual policies).

To help you stay on top of skin testing, the FHA provides Allergy Alert Consultation documents.

For more of the latest hairdressing news, click HERE.


Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We LoveWe Hearand We Seeas the best product launches, styling advice, hairtools, education training and seminars and hairshows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on

We love hairdressing; we see and we hear how you can become the best hairdresser, colourist and salon owner possible. Contact us if you’d like to know more about us. If it’s worth talking about, you’ll read it here.

Latest News

View all News

Haircare with Revlon Professional
Haircare with Revlon Professional
Haircare with Revlon Professional
Calling all session stylists
Haircare with Revlon Professional
Spring onto the dancefloor for Charity
Haircare with Revlon Professional
The Fellowship Style Stage 
Haircare with Revlon Professional
Winning a brand campaign with Darrel Starkey