Michale Convey, owner of Convey salons in Stokesly, Middlesborough is sharing his bobble balayage technique. Michael creates his perfect balayage by sectioning the hair and tying sections up with hair elastics create the perfect sun kissed colour. We’re pretty impressed with the technique and can’t wait to see more colourists using it.
How to bobble balayage
- Section into 4 quadrants plus section out the Money Piece area at the front
- Start by applying your foils to the money-piece section at the front using three fine slices back-to-back. Apply Osmo Ikon Blonde Elevation Premium Violet Bleach with 10 vol along with a few drops of the Osmo Ikon Blue Colour Additive, which will help to neutralise unwanted orange tones, so you’ll get a cooler result
- Tap on colour throughout the root areas on the four quadrant sections (where natural regrowth is) with Osmo Ikon 6 Choc with 5 vol for a demi effect
- Taking a vertical zig zag in each quadrant all the way up, tie your new sections with a bobble to keep the area tidy. Note, the more bobbles you use, the more balayage you’ll see in the finished look. This look is for refresh, so I’ve opted for a mid-number of bobbles for the technique
- Now apply your colour to each bobble section. I applied Blonde Elevation Premium Violet Bleach with 30 Vol and the Blue Colour Additive included again. Remember, you’re not looking to saturate the hair, just paint the outside of the hair bobble area each time. Leave to process for 50 minutes
- Rinse off all the colour and give hair a light cleanse with Osmo Deep Moisture Shampoo to replenish lost moisture without adding excess weight
- Then, whilst at the backwash, apply your toner. I used 3 parts of Osmo Ikon 9.003 (Very Light Chocolate Blonde) with 1 part Osmo Ikon 9.1 (Very Light Ash Blonde) and incorporated Osmo Chomoplex Bond Builder #1into the toner. It’s formulated with Fibre Bond Technology, so hair is protected throughout the chemical process resulting in less damage, increased shine, and incredible vibrant colour. Leave for 20 minutes then lightly shampoo again
- After rinsing, apply Osmo Chromoplex Bond Sealer #2 to help seal the hair shaft for smoother, sleeker, more vibrant colour results before rinsing again ready for styling
- Spritz hair with the new nourishing Osmo X.posed Leave-In Treatment and style using the new Osmo X.posed Blow Dry Balm to deliver body, volume, shine and hold for perfectly smooth blow dry results every time. I always finish my looks with the Osmo Extreme Firm Gel Spray to help remove the fly-aways and give amazing shine – it creates a stunning finish for photos too!
For more of the latest industry news, click HERE.
Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We Love, We Hearand We Seeas the best product launches, styling advice, hairtools, education training and seminars and hairshows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on www.respectyou.me
We love hairdressing; we see and we hear how you can become the best hairdresser, colourist and salon owner possible. Contact us if you’d like to know more about us. If it’s worth talking about, you’ll read it here.