With the male hair market booming, the question of the moment is what’s the difference between men’s hairdressing and barbering? or in fact, is there a difference at all? We invited Joe Mills of Soho favourite Joe & Co and Mikey Pearson, co-owner of Manifesto London to get some answers. Talking everything from traditional barbering to how to create the right atmosphere for the modern man, the duo agree that the future of men’s hairdressing has never been brighter.
On the panel…
- 0m 16s – Introduction from Lauren & Nicky
- 1m 37s – Introduction from Joe Mills & Mikey Pearson
- 3m 24s – Barbershops vs Men’s salons
- 5m 17s – Do barbershops do colour?
- 7m 05s – The future of men’s hairdressing
- 8m 30s – The clientele
- 9m 34s – The barbershops atmosphere
- 11m 10s – The Metrosexual trend
- 12m 38s – Barbershops are booming
- 15m 04s – More than a barbershop
- 19m 47s – Barbering on social media
- 24m 05s – Big brands on the men’s market
- 26m 50s – Regulations and qualifications
- Joe & Co
- MILLS x Primark
- The Lounge Soho
- Manifesto London
- KMS Hair
Hosts: Nicky Pope & Lauren Stone
Guests: Joe Mills & Mikey Pearson
Editor: Aurore Caboche
Thank you for listening, we hope you enjoyed it. As always, we would love to hear from you so please leave a review HERE and let us know your thoughts.
You can subscribe to the Respectfully podcasts HERE.
For more information on Respectfully, follow us on:
We will be back soon for a new episode of the Respectfully Podcast with our next guest, ‘King of balayage’ Jack Howard. Stay tuned!
Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We Love, We Hear and We See as the best product launches, styling advice, hairtools, education training and seminars and hairshows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on www.respectyou.me
We love hairdressing; we see and we hear how you can become the best hairdresser, colourist and salon owner possible. Contact us if you’d like to know more about us. If it’s worth talking about, you’ll read it here.