The red carpet event we’ve been patiently waiting for. This year’s Met Gala was full of defining glam moments, but it was Ciara and Winnie Harlow’s bold and beautiful interpretations of the ‘Gilded Glamour‘ theme that really caught our eye. ‘Gilded Glamour’ is a concept that leaves plenty of room for interpretation and pulls inspiration from New York’s Gilded Age, when excess and grandiosity defined both the decades and the fashion.
Ciara’s interpretation of the theme was the modern woman of the gilded age – all about opulence, luxury and pushing the boundaries of fashion. Celebrity hair stylist, César DeLeön Ramîrez says “For the Met Gala this year, I wanted to capture the feeling of that era in a modern day world. I knew I wanted the hair to make a statement while still complimenting Michael Kors’ design. I was immediately in love with the silver detailing and that became the inspiration for the creative elements I wanted to add to the hair.”
We asked Cesar how he achieved Ciara sought-after look.
View this post on Instagram
1. To start, I cleansed & conditioned with the Silky:Smooth Active Wash & Hydrating Complex. Knowing I was going to use 40” extensions, this was crucial in detangling and softening, fighting frizz and repelling humidity, especially on this rainy day.
2. After towel-drying, I sprayed Silky:Smooth Heat Activator to “seal” the deal. This spray detangles, protects the hair from heat damage, and seals the cuticle to fight off humidity. On top, I layered a generous amount of Smooth&Shine.
3. Once her hair was fully dried, I parted it down the centre and twisted small sections off each side of the part while spraying the workable Le:Play Hairspray which provides a natural satin finish.
4. As the twist coiled up, I pinned them and shaped them to create a crown like updo. I left some ends loose and curled them, and then, in the back, I used a large barrel iron to create a soft, wavy texture.
5. To finish the look, I dabbed Conundrum Paste in the part line to stick my silver leafing detail.
“I love this look so much. It’s romantic, sexy and edgy all in one, which is exactly what I wanted to bring to the carpet. To create the look, I knew I had to use my favorite products by UNITE. With such a wide range of products, I can always create magic using their line.”
Simply stunning. The inspiration for Winnie was a high-fashion ballerina. The sleek, shiny bun created by Davontae Washington is an absolute dream. Here’s how Davontae nailed this ballet-inspired bun.
View this post on Instagram
1. I prepped her wig with Lazer Straight Relaxing Fluid to tame and smooth the hair.
2. Next, I used water, 7Seconds Detangler, and U Oil and distributed it from roots to ends. Then, I blow dried the hair to prep so I can begin flat ironing. These products help seal, nourish, repair and protect the hair from heat, but more importantly reduces dry time!
3. After flat ironing, I used Conundrum Paste and the extra strong-hold Session-max Spray, to help me control the hair to pull it into a bun.
4. I finished with 7Seconds Glossing Spray to give the style a shiny, polished look.
For more news from UNITE click HERE
For Further information head over to Lacey’s Distribution HERE
Respect is a hub for UK hairdressers of all ages and stages to find out what We Love, We Hear and We See as the best product launches, styling advice, hairtools, education training and seminars and hairshows! Sign up to our newsletter which is sent fortnightly direct to your email, so you stay up-to-date with salon styling information, trends in session work, advice on presenting on stage or progress in educating – whatever your interest, whether you’re a trainee or creative director, an educator or team leader, you’ll find all the opportunities and ideas on www.respectyou.me