At this time of year, you should be thinking of protecting your skin from UV –which is invariably high even on dull English days… But what about hair – especially coloured hair? Just like skin, hair suffers from UV exposure and the ravages of wind, sea, chlorine and just general abuse! Coloured hair gives particular problems, often fading and drying out. We asked the TIGI International Creative Team what products are high on their summer hot-list. Then browse all their recommendations in the gallery below:
• Warren Boodaghians, TIGI Global academy technical creative director says: “Summer, brings its own hair issues, from the angst of sun frazzled ends to ensuring blonde look is more ‘sun-kissed’ than ‘sun-bleached’. To put new life into blonde hair that’s taken a bashing over the summer, Bed Head Dumb Purple Toning Blonde Shampoo and Reconstructor is a great counter-action. It contains keratin and milk protein to help restore protein and moisture to damaged blonde hair, taking hair back to its best.”
• Akos Bodi, TIGI European creative director says: “We created Bed Head’s summer range, Totally Beachin’ to help maintain hair health and control your hairstyle during the summer months, where even in the UK, UV rays are much higher. We did a full-on simulation of the kind of environment that causes major damage, frizzy, dry hair and testing against the biggest holiday hair stressors: sea water, pool water, humidity and styling, and it makes me happy to say, Bed Head’s Totally Beachin’ range wins on all counts and all are colour safe! We used ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Grapefruit Extract, Sunflower Seed Oil, Seaweed Extract and Balinese Sea Salt. The Totally Beachin’ wash and care regime cleanses beach and pool build-up and also protects from summer damage. Our Beach Bound Protection Spray is an absolute must for coloured hair, protecting from heat damage and humidity and keeping coloured hair vibrant and nourished.”
• Maria Kovacs, TIGI European session director says: “When we think of the sun damaging coloured hair, we immediately think of the effect on blonde hair, but in reality all colours are prone to fade and this can be disastrous for redheads and brunettes, too. S Factor True Lasting Shampoo, Conditioner and Hair Oil are three great products to save hair from the ravages of the sun. The shampoo really helps maintain radiance, locking in the colour and ensuring it retains a healthy sheen. The conditioner retains colour radiance wash after wash, creating a great shine and lasting vibrancy and the hair oil is perfect for hair that has a tendency to dryness. It smoothes frizz, protects from heat and leaves hair in great condition. When I go on holiday I always take S Factor Papaya Leave-in Moisture Spray. It’s a light conditioner that smoothes and repairs and I love to spritz it through my hair after swimming –or just when I feel hot.”
• Kerrie O’Reilly, TIGI academy technical director says: “Colour fade is a real problem for many people. Frequent washing, environmental factors, sun, chlorine and heat are all detrimental. If you can suggest your clients avoid daily washing it’s preferable for coloured hair. Just suggest spritzing with dry shampoo on no-wash days and they’ll see a difference. My favourite dry shampoo is Catwalk by TIGI Transforming Dry Shampoo, which is a great second or third day styler and smells delicious. I’ve also started recommending Bed Head Calma-Sutra cleansing conditioner to my clients. This new product is especially good for hair prone to frizz. It contains babassu and Brazil nut oil and is sulphate-free, gently cleansing without stripping the hair.”
• Piero Gentile, TIGI academy creative director says: “Colour fade needs control. Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day is a product absolutely loved by hairdressers. It’s always backstage at fashion shows – even being used by session stylists who should be using other brands! It’s great for creating volume and an awesome product for blow-drying, but additionally it has UV protection, making it one product I’d recommend to everyone during the summer – and for the rest of the year. Coloured or natural, it will help maintain hair colour and create absolute style.”
• John Harte, TIGI academy creative director says: “I don’t think people realise how their hair colour can be prolonged if they use the right products. That starts from using the best shampoo and conditioner for their hair type. Fashion-led clients often go for classic, effortless styles and colour perfection. I recommend they use Catwalk Fashionista Shampoo and Conditioner – Fashionista Violet for Blondes and Fashionista Brunette for darker colours. Fashionista Violet Shampoo and Conditioner are the products to use on all clients with blonde or highlighted hair to remove any ‘brassy’ tones, keeping the colour cool and leaving the hair super-shiny. Many clients also like the fact that it’s sulfate surfactant free. The conditioner keeps hair looking cool, protects from heat and adds a healthy sheen. Fashionista Brunette Shampoo & Conditioner create amazing shine and richness intensifying brunette and copper colours and creating warm, glossy tones. If there’s any element of colour fade the shampoo can be left on the hair for between 3 and 10 minutes to add depth.”.
• Joshua Mascolo, TIGI academy assistant creative director says: “I always recommend S Factor Flat Iron Spray to my colour clients to help prolong their colour. It’s a particularly great product to use for summer holidays, as it’s a styler and protector. This product gives heat and UV protection and creates a beautiful shimmering shine. I love the fact it can be used on wet hair before blow-drying, or on dry hair as a shine spray and to protect hair from straightening irons and curl sticks as well as the sun.”