News added 15/12/17: GET HAIR PARTY-READY
‘Festive Hair’ requires style! We asked the TIGI Creative Team for their favourite products for party-ready hair..
• Akos Bodi: Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day is every hairdresser’s favourite. It’s used backstage by a phenomenal number of session stylists and that’s for good reason! It creates volume, makes thin hair appear thicker, gives hold, and shine to the dullest hair and great style –effortlessly.
• Maria Kovacs: Catwalk Session Series Transforming Dry Shampoo is my must-have product for every party girl. No time to style before a party….it’s about instant revival, giving lank locks body, flat locks life and creating great volume. It’s something everyone should have to hand in their desk drawer or handbag.
• Joshua Mascolo: Bed Head Headrush is a long-term favourite of lots of hairdressers and their clients. It’s the perfect finishing product adding the final polish and smoothness and emphasizing the style.
• Piero Gentile: Bed Head Small Talk Volumising Cream and Curl Creator is a great styling product. Limp hair gets a huge amount of body and life. It’s our number one best seller for good reason.
• John Harte: Let’s not forget the men! Bed Head for Men Separation Workable Wax gives maximum hold and definition, giving hold for long periods as well as style and flexibility.
News added 06/12/17: MEN’S FOCUS
“LEARN THE RULES, BREAK THE RULES”, says Anthony Mascolo
Today, it’s really important salon owners focus on building their men’s business. With so much competition in the market-place, salons have to take every opportunity to grow and it’s clear that men today are better groomed, more interested in their appearance and importantly, prepared to pay to look good … so they shouldn’t be ignored!
Which is why TIGI Education launched the Men’s Focus Course aimed at intermediate hairdresser who wants to gain more knowledge in the latest techniques for their contemporary male clients. The course also helps to build confidence in men’s consultations, how to choose the right products and to interpret fashion trends for their daily salon work.
This popular course is part of TIGI’s 2018 education programme, rolling out in TIGI Academies across the globe. It’s the right time to focus on building your male business … so why not let TIGI help you.
Education is at the heart of everything TIGI does. #educationalexcellence
To find out more, please email: email@example.com or CLICK HERE:
For everyday educational support download the TIGI App 24/7.
Hair: Joshua Mascolo, John Harte, Piero Gentile, Gen Ipoh and Tyson Raja. Photographer: Mauro Carraro.
News added 01/12/17: Get set for 2018
“Education is at the heart of TIGI, central to everything we do. Our long-standing philosophy is to share our knowledge to inspire and motivate other hairdressers. Since the beginning of my career, I have believed education has allowed me to progress [this far]”, says Anthony Mascolo.
TIGI’s ground-breaking education encompasses courses in academies, intimate in-salon training, regional event, seminars and global shows. Whatever you need! All courses are carefully created to suit professional hairdressers at every level providing continually updated and refreshed content aiming to support the individual hairdresser and salons; leading to enhanced skills, a tighter more motivated team, stronger customer service, retail expertise and team and customer loyalty. It’s an essential part of building successful, progressive businesses.
Today everyone wants to have access to knowledge anywhere, anytime. The TIGI 24/7 app gives hairdressers access to new techniques, product knowledge, colour formulas and mood boards with the facility to create and save information all in one place. Further educational knowledge is also available online (link below) giving access and inspiration whenever you need it. TIGI is all about opportunity, and their education allows hairdressers to expand their personal experiences through participation in their educational programmes and through their support material, too. Nice!
To find out more about courses for 2018 go to: www.tigiprofessional.com/education or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
News added 23/11/17: TRANSLATING THE TRENDS
TIGI European Session Director, Maria Kovacs, believes the skills learnt working on photographic sessions and backstage at fashion shows are crucial to progression, refining and developing skills. She often quotes hair as being like “a fabric” that’s moulded into a shape, creating the desired feeling and ultimately the right look for an image, or supporting a fashion designer’s vision and theme for a collection. Each season she runs a Session Course at the TIGI Academy where she interprets key trends into styling and textural ideas that can be used by the students to dress and style hair in the salon. Importantly, it also provides language and verbal ideas to share with the salon team and with clients, providing expertise and insider knowledge.
Want to work with Maria in 2018?
Applications are now open for the 2018 TIGI European Session Team.
Each year, Maria selects 10 hairdressers to work with her backstage at London and Paris Fashion Weeks. The chosen hairdressers receive an exclusive two day training course at Bed Head studios in London, travel expenses and hotel costs up to the value of £750 covered by TIGI, a Session stylist kit and a TIGI collection book, signed by Anthony Mascolo.
Click HERE for your chance to be part of the 2018 team.
Entries close on 5th December.
Images below: Work from the Autumn’s Session course in London.
Hair: Maria Kovacs, Akos Bodi and John Harte. Photography: Mauro Carraro.
News added 15/11/17: TIGI INSPIRATIONAL YOUTH 2017
A year of hard work for the 2017 TIGI Inspirational Youth team culminated in a wonderful show at the Cafe de Paris in Leicester Square on Monday night. The nine members of the TIY team worked in two groups to cut, style and present their models to the encouraging audience, showcasing all the skills they have learnt and practised on the programme.
Anthony Mascolo opened the show with a rousing speech about how far each of the team members has come, and says: “I started the TIGI Inspirational Youth to give young hairdressers the opportunities I was given by my brothers.” We love the concept, and admire and respect how focussed Anthony is on nurturing upcoming talent and providing much-needed opportunities for them. Bravo!
The nine members of the TIGI Inspirational Youth Team 2017 are:
• Aidan Darcy @ Sugar Cubed • Alice Petty @ Yazz No. 1 Hair Studio • Chelsey McQueen @ Myka • Christopher Read @ Hobbs Hairdressing • Ellie Beth Hancock @ Anthony Laban Home • Evelina Lundgren @ Andrew Jose • Grace Morbey @ Inkfish • Rita Benedetto @ Bad Apple Hair • Sophie Garbutt @ Forresters. Huge congratulations to all of you!
Interested in joining TIGI Inspirational Youth 2018? Applications open on Monday 16th April 2018. For more information, please contact: email@example.com
News added 08/11/17: GIVE THE GIFT OF GREAT HAIR
The major companies have launched their Christmas advertising campaigns on the TV, the lights are twinkling on Oxford Street, the ice-rinks are opening at Somerset House and the Natural History Museum… and TIGI springing onto the festive bandwagon!
At TIGI, they believe it’s all about making a hair statement for the festive season. These brilliant product combinations have been carefully selected by the TIGI International Creative Team to cater for every hair need and style. It’s a real gift from them to you!
News added 01/11/17: CONCERTINO DE TAPEI
On a recent visit to the TIGI Academy in Taipei, Taiwan; Anthony Mascolo worked closely with the Asian TIGI Creative Team, led by Ralph Boss, on a street-style conceptual shoot entitled: Concertino de Taipei.
Anthony led the Taipei team of hairdressers: Yuki Hsu, Sean Lu, Cameron Li, Moby Chang, Linda Huang and colourists: Andy Cheong, Ella Wang, Ring Cheng, Erica Su, Jovi Ma, Amber Fang and Eddie Chang; with the assistance of TIGI photographer Alex Barron-Hough and London team members: Joshua Mascolo and Gen Itoh.
The resulting collection of strong, textured looks showed an overall feminine power with distinctive colours, defining the shape. There was a strong reference to some of Anthony’s most powerful haircuts, styled and finished using Bed Head products.
Anthony says: “I was really excited and inspired to see the work of the Asian Team. We had an amazing street-casting resulting in a really great selection of models and the resulting shoot was fantastic.”
News added 26/10/17: U T O P I A
This year the 35th Alternative Hair Show was held at the Royal Albert Hall, raising money for Fighting Leukaemia, a charity founded by hairdresser Tony Rizzo after losing his small son to blood cancer. Since he founded Alternative Hair all those years ago, Tony has raised more than £12 Million for the charity which has been invested into research, training of nursing staff and support for families who have a child suffering from blood cancer. This year’s show raised a magnificent £280,626.00!
TIGI founder, Anthony Mascolo, is also the Global President of Alternative Hair and together with his wife Pat, sits on the board of trustees. Anthony’s own passion for the charity is deep and TIGI has supported the show each year through their sponsorship of the event and the TIGI Creative Team’s own presentation. TIGI presented five models, each styled individually to demonstrate power and status.
TIGI also sponsors the International Visionary Award (which is held at the AHS) a creative competition to find new global talent. In three categories: Cut & Colour, Mens and Avant-garde, 36 finalists travelled to London from as far afield as Taiwan, Australia and the USA to present their models at the Visionary Award Show. The 2017 Show was themed ‘UTOPIA’ and expressed the search for a place of perfection and equality. Each team showed their own interpretation of the theme.
Hair team: Akos Bodi, Maria Kovacs, Piero Gentile, Joshua Massolo & John Harte. Make-up: Pat Massolo & Amy Barrington. Styling: Jiv D.
News added 25/09/17: NO STUBBLE. NO TROUBLE.
Created by TIGI to meet the fast-growing and ever more adventurous, male grooming market, Bed Head for Men has been developed to support barbers and hairdressers to help their male clients ‘tame the beast’. The expanding range now includes a soothing aftershave Balm Down and new out this autumn, a luxurious, rich shave cream: Smooth Mover.
• Balm Down soothing aftershave is designed to moisturize and reduce irritation with properties known to act as a skin emollient, that help to lock in non-greasy hydration, leaving the skin feeling soft and smooth. Additionally, rice brand oil helps soothe any inflammation.
• Smooth Mover has been created to calm and soften the roughest chins. Its deluxe formula includes Sachi Inchi Seed Oil, high in Omega 3 and Vitamin A and E, which repairs and locks in hydration, leaving the skin feeling soft, smooth and refreshed. Other ingredients include Coconut Oil, known for its nourishing and hydrating properties and Peppermint Oil with anti- inflammatory benefits to calm irritated and inflamed skin. Together, these ingredients guarantee every daily shave is a pleasurable experience: Razors glide over the skin avoiding cuts and scratches to leave the skin feeling smooth and moisturised. And for days when stubble isn’t on the wish-list, Smooth Mover ensures: No stubble. No Trouble!
For more information, visit: www.bedheadformen.com
News added 20/09/17: Embrace the new season
The trends for AW17/18 have strong cross-cultural influences bringing together the past, the future, escapism and reality. The new season references the changing social and political global scene, embracing the spirit of diversity transporting different individuals together across cultural groups. Grooming is minimalistic this season, but that doesn’t mean it’s not executed to perfection. Gently tousled, laid-back styling and mussed-up textures, require accurate product selection from Catwalk by TIGI, giving the right element of control and polish. There’s a new ladylike femininity in both hair and makeup for a flawless and effortlessly cool-girl finish. At Mark Fast, using Catwalk by TIGI, Maria Kovacs, TIGI European Session Director, translated this new movement with loose ponytails worn nonchalantly at the nape, low side partings and long swept fringes. At Ricostru soft shapes and flowing hair with gentle waves created without volume, whilst at Damir Doma Men’s Show the hair for guys and girls took reference from Grunge, but was equally about establishing ever model as an individual. Here’s TIGI’s round-up of the new season’s trends from European Session Director, Maria Kovacs and Global Academy Technical Director, Warren Boodaghians. Then browse a gallery of the looks below:
Travel increasingly affects fashion, impacting colour and print, distracting us from reality with vibrant, tropical palettes. Global travel also inspires a fashion sub-set with a hedonistic, bohemian style that brings beach to city with tropical colours and light fabrics.
Colour: Hair colour trends for The Tourist will alter depending on personal eclectic style but overall Natural, Neon, and Pastel tones will dominate. Techniques include – Grown-out and delicate Colour Placement fusing natural with neon – giving the Tourist a carefree look that will gradually fade, resulting in a variety of different looks as the colour softens over time.
We might be living in an uncertain world, we might be fighting to keep up with ever-changing technology, but fashion looks positively at the future, inspired by artificial intelligence, often translated through the use of technical fabrics and the rise of 3D-prints.
Colour – Kaleidoscopic is the key to this trend. From galaxy-inspired toners, to a softer approach working with saturated tones and incorporating softer hues, to dramatic deep tones or super ice blondes. Techniques- will vary depending on the individual, but include classic global colours, to creative toning. Overall, any woman inspired by the Artificial Intelligence trend wants her hair to be as individual and unique as her own DNA.
Over the decades the antidote to hardship is often glamour – and this season it takes the wearer on an escape route to the 40s, 70s and 80s, with the style choice very much up to the individual and their personal look.
Hair Colour is about shine, shine and more shine! The Glamour Revived trend is about high saturation colour. The Colour Techniques will depend on individual desire, but we’re working with classic glossing, together with post-pigmentation for extra saturation tone and shine as well as Free Lights to create a multi-tonal natural blonding services, and Classic Lightening services with toning techniques.
POWER DRESSING UP
“Dressing-up” is a must this season, seen in a revival of tailoring with soft power-dressing exposing female solidarity.
Colour – The hair colour trends for Power Dressing-Up are effortless and cool. This woman wears her hair colour. It’s never the other way round.. The colour choice will vary, from deep intense brunettes to high-shine reds and coppers, while Blondes will take a universal approach. Colour techniques include Colouring Blocking with harmonious tones for a seamless blend and effect and Directional Foiling with Seamless Weaves for Precision Lightening. And for a more natural multi-dimensional coverage, we’re using TIGI copyrightcolour Age Denied, perfect for this trend.
News added 13/09/17: RED ALERT
Red is back, a strong AW trend for both clothes and hair and this means the latest launch from TIGI is absolutely timely for those fashion-led classic clients. TIGI copyrightcolour’s new colour launch sees five, sultry red, copper and mahogany shades being added to the exciting anti-ageing range of rejuvenating permanent hair-colours: AGE DENIED.
“Our number one inspiration is a full-on red alert, which is a creative game changer. We’re working with rich tones of red and mahogany, moving into a diverse range of colours including, brick red, burgundy, bordeaux, suede red and orange lily. These bold tones translate well for the creative salon colourist and are sure to empower clients,” says Warren Boodaghians, TIGI Academy Global Technical Director, who believes the red evolution will play an important part in the customisation of colours for the all-important mature, fashion-led client group.
Convenient to use and providing 100% coverage on non-pigmented hair, AGE DENIED has been created to cater for the woman who wants to take control of her ageing with a fashionable sophistication, tons of attitude and absolute confidence. AGE DENIED Rejuvenating Complex has been crafted with three anti-ageing ingredients known to combat the signs of ageing hair, resulting in a shiny, multi- dimensional finish, recapturing the hair’s vitality.
AGE DENIED: It isn’t about lying, it’s about denying.
News added 06/09/17: Red carpet-ready party hair!
Whether it’s a big ‘red carpet’ event or an intimate party for two, S Factor holds the secret to serious glamour. Sensational hair is key to looking stunning, and with a choice of luxurious wash, care and styling products, S Factor ensures your clients will feel self-assured, feminine and utterly glamorous. Every girl loves a party and that’s why the creative team at S Factor has created red-carpet inspired party looks you can create in the salon, or, help your clients follow simple steps to recreate at home. There are also step-by-step postcards and videos available to help you choose the right products for your clients’ hair, and style, recommended by the S Factor team…
Get the look: The Sensational Pony
- Prep hair with S Factor Diamond Dreams Shampoo & Conditioner. Then add Smoothing Lusterizer from the mid-lengths to the ends.
- Take large sections from around the front hairline. Spray liberally with Vivacious Hairspray & tong towards the face using a TIGI PRO Fat Curl Stick.
- Take further sections at the crown, this time tonging away from the face.
- Take all the remaining hair and wrap loosely around the Curl Stick to create controlled movement. Back brush the crown area for additional volume.
- Lift the hair up and fasten with elastic to create the ponytail.
- Brush out the set and push the waves into place, finishing with a spritz of Vivacious Hairspray.
The secret to sensational glamour lies with you.
Visit www.sfactorbytigi.com for more step-by-steps.
News added 01/09/17: The Experimentalists
The ‘experimentalists’ are a growing global group, bored with the usual blonde highlights, brunette lowlights and auburn gloss. They are defining a new wave of contemporary style with clashing, unnatural hair tones referencing the Punk era and showing individualism. This is a style trend that’s evolved from the ‘street’, urban locations where the creative, techno-experts, students and artists love to hang out.
There’s one thing about colour – it can go horribly wrong if you attempt it yourself and this is as true if you want pink, blue or green hair as it is for a soft, natural-looking blonde. So even when it comes to ‘street’ influenced colours, the professional colourist IS the person to call and TIGI colourists have seen a growing number of clients wanting to push their look. For this street shoot, the TIGI technical creative team used Bed Head Colour Trip to create individual looks on the models. The aim was to find a flattering colour for the skin tone and works with each individuals hair cut, but also makes a strong statement.
TIGI’s Bed Head Colour Trip is an electrifying range of 12 long-lasting, acidic, semi-permanent shades, designed to create a bold impact. The range is fully intermixable, giving colourists unlimited possibilities to invent the exact colour they envisage from vibrants to pastels. Diluting shades has never been this easy! The versatility and intensity of the colours are designed to push expression for all your clients wanting to stand out from the crowd. We love it!
News added 25/08/17: TIGI Inspirational Youth 2017
Now in its 12th year, TIGI Inspirational Youth was founded by Anthony Mascolo to identify new talent and provide opportunities to progress the careers of young hairdressers. It is also an incredible opportunity to take 10 individuals, inspire them to share in their experiences and develop into a team.
Mentored by senior members of the TIGI International Creative Team, the Inspirational Youth Team participate in a bootcamp to develop their cutting and colouring skills, understand the importance of presenting and stage presence, learn the key to a successful model casting which will ultimately lead them to participate in a photographic shoot. During the bootcamp the team is continually filmed so they can assess what they have achieved and how they performed. At the end of the week they return to their salons armed with plenty of information and new techniques to share with their own salon team. It’s a real eye-opener for the team members on the programme.
The culmination of the training programme takes places at the Café de Paris in London on Monday 13th October with the TIGI Inspirational Youth Show. It’s a wonderful programme, and many former team members have gone on to forge highly successful careers in education, session hairdressing and as salon owners. We’ll be keeping a close eye on this lot to see how they develop in the months to come!
News added 02/08/17: East London RAW #TameTheBeast
Anthony Mascolo has spent his whole career observing and researching street-fashion, always referencing London’s unique underground urban youth culture in his work. He’s watched the emergence of male style and a developing interest in hair that’s inspired a new wave of creativity amongst his hairdressers. And, when it comes to men, now ‘anything goes’ in terms of style. Long, cropped, shaved, smooth, textured; never have men had so many choices when selecting a hairstyle. These days even your occupation rarely restricts what you do with your hair. The recent street-casting at Bed Head Hair Space revealed just how happily men will just ‘go for it’. This RAW shoot shows men’s hairstyles are more about the shape and less about the time spent on styling – most men don’t want to spend hours (or even minutes) perfecting their look – so it’s important the cut is technically perfect and the products nurture the desired texture to keep hair in place all day long.
Hair: Nori, John, Piero.
Products used: Bed Head Manipulator Matte, Bed Head Manipulator, Bed Head Hard Head, Bed Head Upfront, Bed Head Small Talk, Bed Head Wax Stick
News added 26/07/17: NO BOUNDARIES
Bed Head Hair Space is an exciting hair concept salon located in Boxpark, a pop-up mall, situated in Shoreditch, East London. Gen Itoh creative director of Bed Head Hair Space heads up this dynamic, multi-functional area that is salon, retail area and social space combined. The energy of the area and the experimentalism of its inhabitants is an exciting starting point for ‘realism shoots’ especially when using the stylish locals as ‘models’. Shooting with Anthony Mascolo and the TIGI International creative team, this recent experimental collection is purposefully raw and is as much about the individualism and character of the ‘model’ as it’s about hairdressing. Observing the changing trends in East London and the styles of Bed Head Hair Space clients, the team created a series of looks merging a new desire for effortless finishes and utilization of natural textures, using Bed Head to enhance curl and texture – to boost movement, rather than fighting against it. Curls and waves are definitely ‘having a moment’, but this doesn’t just mean you can wash your hair and leave it. It’s important that even effortless hair has shape and control, which is where Bed Head by TIGI comes in… Globally the top styling range, Bed Head has a range of products to control frizz, and nurture the perfect curl. Find out what products were used for each look here:
• Model: Hiromi Howes – Japanese, lifestyle and fashion blogger, living in Dalston.
Products: Bed Head Foxy Curls Contour Cream and Bed Head Hard Head
• Model: Gabriella Borges – Californian in London, studying animation.
Products: Bed Head On the Rebound and Bed Head After Party
• Model: Giulia Simonotti – Italian in London, studying photography.
Products: Bed Head Oh Bee Hive and Bed Head Joyride
• Model: Benjamin Knight – Base climbing, aspiring actor and writer.
Products: Bed Head Screw it Oil and Bed Head Finishing Curl Spray
• Model: Hazel Susan Harrison—Model, make-up artist and belly-dancing Londoner.
Products: Bed Head On the Rebound, Bed Head Screw It Oil and Bed Head Masterpiece Hairspray
News added 18/07/17: Last weekend the entire TIGI creative team, supported by stylists from TIGI salons across the UK, decamped to Liverpool’s Echo Area for the British Style Collective 2017. For three days, the team created wigs and styled the hair for 26 models and dancers, plus several more performers and celebrities, at the main stage fashion extravaganza. With two action-packed shows each day, it was ‘full-on’ for the TIGI team who were led by TIGI European creative director, Akos Bodi. Working with the BSC team, the TIGI creative team was given plenty of opportunity to be inventive and with futuristic cartoons and style references to past decades, there was plenty of inspiration all around.
Photos: Mauro Carraro.
News added 07/07/17: Don’t forget to talk to your clients about COLOUR PROTECTION
At this time of year, you should be thinking of protecting your skin from UV –which is invariably high even on dull English days… But what about hair – especially coloured hair? Just like skin, hair suffers from UV exposure and the ravages of wind, sea, chlorine and just general abuse! Coloured hair gives particular problems, often fading and drying out. We asked the TIGI International Creative Team what products are high on their summer hot-list. Then browse all their recommendations in the gallery below:
• Warren Boodaghians, TIGI Global academy technical creative director says: “Summer, brings its own hair issues, from the angst of sun frazzled ends to ensuring blonde look is more ‘sun-kissed’ than ‘sun-bleached’. To put new life into blonde hair that’s taken a bashing over the summer, Bed Head Dumb Purple Toning Blonde Shampoo and Reconstructor is a great counter-action. It contains keratin and milk protein to help restore protein and moisture to damaged blonde hair, taking hair back to its best.”
• Akos Bodi, TIGI European creative director says: “We created Bed Head’s summer range, Totally Beachin’ to help maintain hair health and control your hairstyle during the summer months, where even in the UK, UV rays are much higher. We did a full-on simulation of the kind of environment that causes major damage, frizzy, dry hair and testing against the biggest holiday hair stressors: sea water, pool water, humidity and styling, and it makes me happy to say, Bed Head’s Totally Beachin’ range wins on all counts and all are colour safe! We used ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Grapefruit Extract, Sunflower Seed Oil, Seaweed Extract and Balinese Sea Salt. The Totally Beachin’ wash and care regime cleanses beach and pool build-up and also protects from summer damage. Our Beach Bound Protection Spray is an absolute must for coloured hair, protecting from heat damage and humidity and keeping coloured hair vibrant and nourished.”
• Maria Kovacs, TIGI European session director says: “When we think of the sun damaging coloured hair, we immediately think of the effect on blonde hair, but in reality all colours are prone to fade and this can be disastrous for redheads and brunettes, too. S Factor True Lasting Shampoo, Conditioner and Hair Oil are three great products to save hair from the ravages of the sun. The shampoo really helps maintain radiance, locking in the colour and ensuring it retains a healthy sheen. The conditioner retains colour radiance wash after wash, creating a great shine and lasting vibrancy and the hair oil is perfect for hair that has a tendency to dryness. It smoothes frizz, protects from heat and leaves hair in great condition. When I go on holiday I always take S Factor Papaya Leave-in Moisture Spray. It’s a light conditioner that smoothes and repairs and I love to spritz it through my hair after swimming –or just when I feel hot.”
• Kerrie O’Reilly, TIGI academy technical director says: “Colour fade is a real problem for many people. Frequent washing, environmental factors, sun, chlorine and heat are all detrimental. If you can suggest your clients avoid daily washing it’s preferable for coloured hair. Just suggest spritzing with dry shampoo on no-wash days and they’ll see a difference. My favourite dry shampoo is Catwalk by TIGI Transforming Dry Shampoo, which is a great second or third day styler and smells delicious. I’ve also started recommending Bed Head Calma-Sutra cleansing conditioner to my clients. This new product is especially good for hair prone to frizz. It contains babassu and Brazil nut oil and is sulphate-free, gently cleansing without stripping the hair.”
• Piero Gentile, TIGI academy creative director says: “Colour fade needs control. Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day is a product absolutely loved by hairdressers. It’s always backstage at fashion shows – even being used by session stylists who should be using other brands! It’s great for creating volume and an awesome product for blow-drying, but additionally it has UV protection, making it one product I’d recommend to everyone during the summer – and for the rest of the year. Coloured or natural, it will help maintain hair colour and create absolute style.”
• John Harte, TIGI academy creative director says: “I don’t think people realise how their hair colour can be prolonged if they use the right products. That starts from using the best shampoo and conditioner for their hair type. Fashion-led clients often go for classic, effortless styles and colour perfection. I recommend they use Catwalk Fashionista Shampoo and Conditioner – Fashionista Violet for Blondes and Fashionista Brunette for darker colours. Fashionista Violet Shampoo and Conditioner are the products to use on all clients with blonde or highlighted hair to remove any ‘brassy’ tones, keeping the colour cool and leaving the hair super-shiny. Many clients also like the fact that it’s sulfate surfactant free. The conditioner keeps hair looking cool, protects from heat and adds a healthy sheen. Fashionista Brunette Shampoo & Conditioner create amazing shine and richness intensifying brunette and copper colours and creating warm, glossy tones. If there’s any element of colour fade the shampoo can be left on the hair for between 3 and 10 minutes to add depth.”.
• Joshua Mascolo, TIGI academy assistant creative director says: “I always recommend S Factor Flat Iron Spray to my colour clients to help prolong their colour. It’s a particularly great product to use for summer holidays, as it’s a styler and protector. This product gives heat and UV protection and creates a beautiful shimmering shine. I love the fact it can be used on wet hair before blow-drying, or on dry hair as a shine spray and to protect hair from straightening irons and curl sticks as well as the sun.”
News added 30/06/17: TIGI INSPIRATIONAL YOUTH 2017 TEAM IS ANNOUNCED
TIGI Inspirational Youth is a mentorship programme designed to give young hairdressers the opportunity to develop their creativity and talent. Now in its 13th year, many former team members have gone on to highly successful careers in the global hairdressing industry, recognized and respected by their peers. Anthony Mascolo says: “I created TIGI Inspirational Youth because I wanted to give young hairdressers the opportunity my brothers gave me. I believe in finding and nurturing tomorrow’s hairdressing stars and inspiring them to push their work to the next level.” Great thinking, Anthony! So, with no further ado we can reveal that the 10 young hairdressers selected from salons across the UK and Ireland for the 2017 TIY team are:
• Aidan Darcy @ SugarCubed • Alice Blake Petty @ Yazz No 1 Hair Studio • Chelsey McQueen @ Myka • Christopher Read @ Hobbs • Ellie Beth Hancock @ Anthony Laban • Evelina Lundgren @ Andrew Jose • Grace Morbey @ Inkfish • Jade Kerr @ Scots Hair Design • Rita Benedetto @ Bad Apple • Sophie Garbutt @ Forresters.
In August the Team will participate in the 2017 TIGI Inspirational Youth Bootcamp at Bed Head Studio in London where TIGI European creative director Akos Bodi, TIGI European session director Maria Kovacs and TIGI Global academy technical director Warren Boodaghians will direct their unique training programme. The bootcamp includes classic and advanced cutting and colouring, session styling, future fashion forecasting, presentation skills and a model casting and photo shoot shot at Bed Head Studio by TIGI in-house photographer, Alex Barron-Hough.
The culmination of the programme is the TIGI Inspirational Youth Show, to be held on Monday 13th November at London’s Café de Paris.
News added 23/06/17: BTS in Milan…
Maria Kovacs, TIGI European Session Director, led the TIGI Italian Session Team backstage at Men’s Fashion Week in Milan for Damir Doma’s SS18 collection.
Confusingly, many men’s fashion shows now feature female models too, and Damir Doma was no different. This mixed-gender show, as with many other shows this season, projected a strong message. Specialising in loose shapes, Damir Doma showed relaxed silhouettes with soft, organic textures that exuded warmth added to an element of craftsmanship. Utility pieces added to the modern grunge feel of the show.
Complimenting the theme of the natural and texture, the hair was effortlessly undone. The team worked with the natural texture of the hair and used Catwalk by TIGI to style and maintain the shape. Nice! Check out some of the looks below:
Photos: Mauro Carraro.
News added 13/06/17: Pure Innocence
Mark Winstanley and his team at Molbys believe in using their own clients as the starting point to develop and push their own ideas forwards. Understanding developing fashion trends and looking how these can be translated to his market place is key to the development of new concepts and collections. Working with Bed Head Studio team, led by photographer and production manager, Mauro Carraro, Molbys have created their summer collection: Pure Innocence.
Mark says: “The inspiration behind The Pure Innocence Collection came from our current fascination with all things vintage. This feeling inspired the soft neutral rose tones we chose for our mood board. These are tones we have seen coming through in fashion for summer 2017, so it makes for an enticing overall story. We have also been inspired by the TIGI brands we work with, looking at the different types of looks that clients have which link to Bed Head, Catwalk and S Factor. Our collection focuses on looks to meet the needs of our clients and directs them to move their personal style forwards. The soft tones have been used to work new ideas into our colour work. Bed Head ColourTrip has allowed our colourists to be experimental creating soft pastel shades that have enticed our clients to try new colours for the summer season.”
Hair: Molbys Team, Cambridgeshire. Photos: Mauro Carraro. Make-up: Amy Barrington. Styling: Jiv D.
News added 08/06/17: TIGI founder, Anthony Mascolo believes in pushing his creativity – as far as it will go! After opening his personal studio, The Library Space, a beautiful Victorian building in Battersea, South London, he started shooting his own artistic imagery, experimenting with new concepts and ideas. Together with his makeup director, wife Pat, fashion stylist Jiv D, his son Joshua and a pool of other creative hairdressers with whom he’d worked for many years, Anthony began creating exciting imagery with the aim of producing an online magazine to promote his work.
Over the last 2 years Anthony has built a small internal team of photographers, film-makers, graphic designers, writers and editors who have researched, interviewed and created content for online publication www.infringe.com Undoubtedly, the online content is inspiring and unique, but for Anthony a tangible magazine remains his ultimate inspiration. The first issue of INFRINGE MAGAZINE launches in June.
What does INFRINGE mean to you?
Anthony & Pat: After working together for almost 40 years, we work seamlessly and find we both need continual creative goals to inspire us. After all, we don’t want to spend all of our lives on holiday! We strongly believe in building teams, creating opportunity for others, finding talent, showing hair and art are closely linked. With our team at INFRINGE, the amazing people who have contributed to the first issue and though our online content, we have created a new platform that’s certainly inspired us and taken our own work to a different place. INFRINGE means we can be experimental, we can trespass on what is seen as the norm in the world of hair and intrude into the true art domain.
After all these years, are you still passionate about hair?
A&P: As hairdressers we know hair can give a person a huge change. Primarily it’s a person’s image and style statement. Changing a hairstyle can dramatically change how a person looks, how they feel and are seen by others. It’s mood-changing, it can give an aura of strength or can soften, it can create a feeling of fun or seriousness. Being able to make such a difference is inspirational. Observing what people do with their hair is always fascinating – whether or not you like the result!
How did you come up with the concept of INFRINGE?
A&P: When we first bought The Library Space we spent quite a long time redesigning the interior within the limitations of what was permitted. Once we’d finished the building we began creating a curated space for our archives. Whilst the curation is ongoing, we needed a new project and decided to shoot more artistic and experimental work to inspire ourselves and our immediate hairdressing team, placing the results online. We quickly realized what we were doing shouldn’t just be about us, but about artists, photographers, crazy, mad hairdressers, session stylists and the hairdressers creating the latest amazing work.
How long has it taken to create the first issue of INFRINGE?
A&P: We probably spent at least a year talking about creating a magazine – what it would look like, feel like and include. We also spent hours brain-storming, researching before pulling a team together –all long before the actual work began. We’d say it’s taken 12 months to get to where we are now: establishing the website, creating social media pages and finally the magazine. The first issue is a complete anthology of our first year and contains everything we’ve worked on from the very start until now. Finally being able to do a beautiful print version is amazing, and we want people to not only own it, but to keep it. We ‘re so happy and proud with the results. The stories and images take on a different feeling in print – which we love.
Has the initial messaging of INFRINGE remained or did it evolve organically as the work progressed?
A&P: It’s definitely changed or rather developed in diverse ways. It started as an interpretation of our creative forms and has become a wider understanding of hair. What’s exciting about INFRINGE is that it’s up to us. We can take it in any direction we want, as we are the decision-makers. That feels great.
Some of the content is extraordinary. How have you come across it?
A&P: Some of the sections have evolved organically – in general we’re open to change. We’ve created a lot of content, but we also work with many contributors and each section has given us its own challenges. When we cover events, visit places or meet people (INFRINGE.com has so far covered a hardcore punk festival, a barbershop owned by the oldest working barber in the world and a hair museum in the California desert,) there’s always the challenge of getting people to open-up their lives to us. Remember, we’re telling the story of hair from a point of view that is ‘on the fringes’ of what’s normally viewed as hairdressing, that means travelling to far-flung places and often meeting wonderfully unusual people to gain unique stories and images.
Who is INFRINGE aimed at?
A&P: INFRINGE is primarily devoted to people with a love of the medium of hair –but that’s not just the hairdresser. We’re talking to barbers and wigmakers, photographers and filmmakers, artists and cultural activists – in fact anyone and everyone who thinks about challenging the usual perceptions of hair and its role in shaping an individual’s sense of identity.
With your son Joshua now a well-established hairdresser, did you see this as a family venture?
A&P: We’ve got 3 children and they’re all involved with INFRINGE in some way.
Josh has worked with us on some of our shoots, our eldest daughter Georgina is responsible for much of the still life imagery in INFRINGE and our younger daughter, Alexandra is currently working as part of the team as a copywriter. It was also Alex who made us view the content of INFRINGE as “an anthropology”. She’s studied the subject at university and sharing her passion and knowledge for her subject gave us the idea of collating the world of hair in one publication.
Apart from you and your children, who is behind INFRINGE?
A&P: The two key members are Emma de Clercq and Nathan Dytor, who challenge every idea, spend hours researching and contacting potential contributors and work on the development of every aspect of INFRINGE. We’re the only hairdressers but they’ve all been thrown into our world and interestingly have a very different perspective and approach to the subject that has been a huge bonus. We love that everyone has very different ideas –it can be challenging but it’s lead to some brilliant content.
Where can people buy INFRINGE?
A&P: In the UK INFRINGE will be on sale in selected branches of W.H. Smith and from art and culture shops around the country. It will also be on sale in France, in Colette, Paris and in a small number of outlets around the globe. Importantly, INFRINGE can be purchased online from www.infringe.com where there will be a list of stockists across the globe.
News added 31/05/17: Get your CURL on!
With more and more clients enhancing and embracing their natural waves and curls it only makes sense that professional styling brand Bed Head by TIGI – arms you with the weapons you need to give your clients frizz-free, defined waves and curls. The full range brings you nourishing care products and superior stylers and finishers. Whether you’re creating curls or enhancing your client’s natural texture; Bed Head wave and curl products protect from frizz, combat humidity and define curls for up to 72 hours. Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?
As we’ve come to expect from TIGI – as well as products that pack-a-punch – their new range includes some seriously fun, tongue-in-cheek names, too:
• Calma Sutra Cleansing Conditioner for Waves and Curls
• Screw it Curl Hydrating Jelly Oil
• Foxy Curls Contour Cream
• Get Twisted Anti-Frizz Finishing Hairspray
• On the Rebound Curl Recall Cream
We know there’s no such thing as ‘one-size-fits all’ when it comes to waves and curls, so we’re pleased to see that this new range gives you the creative freedom to style the way you want. It’s #yourcurlsyourway. For further information, please contact TIGI on +44 (0) 844 844 0944.
News added 17/05/17: TAKE CONTROL OF AGEING HAIR
On 1st June, TIGI copyright©olour launches AGE DENIED rejuvenating permanent haircolour, a convenient, pre-blended range of 14 shades with a natural base, giving up to 3 levels of lift, designed to provide up to 100% coverage on over 50% non-pigmented hair. The new range is simple to use with a 1:1 mixing ratio and is compatible with the existing TIGI copyright©olour activator range. It has been engineered with AGE DENIED Rejuvenating Complex, including 3 anti-ageing ingredients known to help combat signs of ageing hair. The larger 90ml tube caters for two retouch applications. As you would expect from TIGI, the colour range appeals to the woman who wants to take control of her ageing with confidence, sophistication and attitude.
“AGE DENIED focuses on the core salon client, who wants to retain her youth. It’s about empowering women to look and feel great, whatever their age, creating colours that are glamorous, fashionable and give clients the confidence to feel powerful and a little bit sexy.” Anthony Mascolo, TIGI International Artistic Director.
The TIGI Colour Education Team is on hand to support Salons using AGE DENIED enhancing the development of technical skills and further education is available at the TIGI Academy where a variety of courses are suited to every level of expertise. On top of this the TIGI App 24/7 has been created as a further educational tool to provide new ideas, techniques and lots of information- it’s an invaluable source of inspiration.
‘TIGI is dedicated to supporting hairdressers and their salons. We wanted to create a white coverage range that’s simple to use and meets the salon needs, helping to build client loyalty.” Christel Lundqvist, TIGI Global Technical Creative Director.
‘AGE DENIED with its pre-blended formula gives you multi-tonal, natural coverage in 30 minutes – making it ideal for your classic colour client. It’s not about lying, it’s about denying!’ Warren Boodaghians, TIGI Global Technical Academy Director.
For further information on AGE DENIED please contact TIGI on tel: 0844 844 0944 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to We Love